Live Video Annotation Plugin
Add timed comments to a YouTube video with ease! [Wordpres Plugin]
The Live Video Annotation plugin for WordPress allows you to add timed footnotes to a YouTube video. Visitors can see these comments pop-up later while watching the video.
What can it be used for?
- Add notes to video lectures.
- Give translations to a video.
- Use it to add bookmarks to a video.
- Easily add links to external resources mentioned in a video.
- Imitate Stephen Colbert‘s The Wørd
- Create your own Pop-Up Video.
- Comment the ghost video’s of your bedroom.
- Whatever you can think of….
When you’ve activated the plugin you can add the following shortcode in the post:[videoannotation video_id='YOUTUBE_CODE']
The YOUTUBE_CODE can be found in the video’s link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcohzJvviQ
So to add this video to a post you would put this in the page:[videoannotation video_id='VvcohzJvviQ']
How to annotate a video?
It’s reeeeeally easy! Make sure you are logged in to WordPress and visit the post where you added the video. Start playing the video and type your notes in the field below the video. To submit your note you can press [enter] or click on the annotate button.
The image below illustrates what you will see when you are logged in:
If you need some time to write your comment, don’t worry: You can pause the video at any time.
ps. The field will be greyed out for a little while until the comment is actually saved.
Can I add hyperlinks?
Yes you can! Just copy the whole hyperlink from your browser. Be sure to include the http:// part, so we know it’s a link. We’ll take care of the rest.
You can add also some options to the shortcode:
- expire_time – The amount of time a comment is visible in seconds. Set to ‘0’ (zero) if you don’t want the annotations to fade out. Ny default this is set to ’10’.
- width - The width of the video. Default is ‘640’.
- height - The height of the video. Default is ‘390’.
All the options combined result in the following shortcode: (note that it should be on one line)[videoannotation video_id='VvcohzJvviQ' expire_time='5' width='500' height='250']
The plugin is tested on the latest versions of Chrome, FireFox and Safari (all mac) and on Windows Internet Explorer 9.
I hope you find this plugin useful and find creative ways to use it. Feel free to add a comment and tell me what you think!